Warranty Coverage on 2020 Volkswagen Models
For the 2020 model year, Volkswagen has changed its warranty coverage. All new 2020 models come with 4-years and 50,000 miles of bumper-to-bumper coverage. This same timeframe includes powertrain coverage.
The bumper-to-bumper warranty will cover any repairs to correct defects in the manufacturer’s material or workmanship. Though the warranty has been shortened from the previous year, its length still surpasses that of many mainstream brands, and matches the length of typical luxury nameplates.
Volkswagen Carefree Maintenance
In addition to the bumper-to-bumper and powertrain coverage noted above, the 2020 VW warranty also includes 2-years or 20,000 miles of Carefree Maintenance. Procedures covered consist of an oil change, a long list of “check” items, and a road test.
Other elements of the vehicle are covered for varying lengths. One special aspect that’s not often covered by warranty is the coverage of brake discs (or drums) and pads (or shoes) for wear and tear.
If buyers would prefer longer coverage on their new vehicle, Volkswagen offers several extended warranty plans.
24-Hour Roadside Assistance
The 2020 VW Warranty also includes a 24-Hour Roadside Assistance Program that lasts for 3 years or 36,000 miles. The Roadside Assistance service includes:
- Battery jump start
- Flat tire service
- Emergency fuel service
- Lock-out service (up to $100 per occurrence)
- Extrication/winch service (when performed in conjunction with the tow)
- Emergency towing to nearest Volkswagen dealer or authorized service provider
- Trip interruption coverage up to $100 per day for lodging and meals for a maximum of five days for a total benefit of $500 per occurrence (if a covered repair occurs 100 miles or more from owner’s home)
In addition to the above, Volkswagen extended warranty plans throw in:
- Rental car reimbursement up to $35 per day for up to 10 days if required
- Trip interruption coverage increases to $200 per day for a maximum of five days
Volkswagen People First Warranty
Those who purchase a new 2019 VW model still receive the previous warranty coverage, known as the Volkswagen People First Warranty. This warranty lasts for six years or 72,000 miles; whichever comes first. However, it does not include the two years/20,000 miles of Carefree Maintenance.
Is the 2020 Volkswagen Warranty transferable?
Yes, the 2020 Volkswagen warranty is fully transferable if one sells the car to a private party.